Skip to main content

The D-Day

 My brother also came home and we decided to go for surgery. The hospital has asked us to get admitted two days prior to the surgery date(10–07–2020) in order to prepare the patient for surgery. One of the assistant doctors has done NG intubation(nasogastric tube). I am not in the hospital room then but my brother called and said that they have done that. It was a very simple procedure (medical perspective view) but it was the first time, I saw my father with it and couldn’t see it(as my eyes flooded in tears). Only one person can accompany the patient to the hospital tonight. So, I and my uncle went back to the hotel room but I couldn’t sleep for that whole night because I was tensed as the very next day was surgery.

We went back to the hospital at 7 in the morning and they took my father to the Operation Theatre at 7:30 AM. We were all scared because of the complexity of the surgery, I and my brother sat in the waiting area (near OT) and my uncle waited in the parking area (because, as it was COVID time, only one attendee was allowed inside the hospital along with the patient).

The hospital had multiple OT s’ and there was a team of doctors. So, many surgeries happen at a time in multiple OTs’ and when we were waiting in the OT waiting hall, around 15 people were waiting along with us. The security at the OT was calling the names of each patient, whose surgery was completed. So, the doctor will talk to the respective attendee and the patient’s attendee will go down to the ICU and wait there.

It was 12 PM, the number of people in the waiting hall was gradually decreasing and they hadn’t called us till. It was 3 PM, yet there was no call yet. Meanwhile, we spoke to one of the OT nurses, he said it is still ongoing. We were tense because almost 6 hours had already passed and it was 5:30 PM, there were only two people left in the waiting hall and still, there was no call. My brother went down to the parking area (security asked one of us to leave). At 6 PM, security called another patient’s attender. So, only I was left in the room. Not only me, but everyone in the family got tensed as there was no communication from any of the doctors or nurses, as 11 hours had already passed, which started linking to many thoughts behind, like, but my grandmother had also expired in the OT when she had been to the surgery. At around 6:30 PM, security called me to wait near the door and said, doctor, will come and talk to you. I became anxious (what would the doctor say?).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Both of you made me Lost ................ Are you on a mission?

I am looking everyday at my phone, waiting for your phone call to speak to you again, would only realize after a moment that it’s never going to happen. During lunch I always look at the chair, you were sitting to have our decisive talks, realizing that I am not going to have it again is shattering me. I miss speaking to you again while having a ride on the bike to markets. During our last ride I still remember that when I expressed of moving to a new company, you asked me to stabilize and then wait for 6 months at least. Now, I promise to try my best to hold there. These all exact patterns happened with father too.......(Before his diagnosis) Honestly, I never felt orphaned till date even after losing nana, I always have you then. I am literally having this feeling now, I really don’t know why….…. I am really lost, you both shouldn’t have left me early. I am trying very very hard by running away / staying away from home, but I couldn’t process it. I already lost 50% of my...

Test Reports and Revelation

  I, my father, and one of my father’s cousins had again been to the doctor’s room after a week. Conversation between my father and doctor Doctor:  Hi Sir! How are you doing now? Father:  I felt good and fine until I used the course of medicines, which is prescribed by you. After the course has been completed, from the next day itself, there is discomfort again and I am suffering a lot, sir. Doctor:  Please be prepared for Surgery and make up your mind to it! The doctor asked my father to wait outside and asked us to stay in the room. Doctor:  The reports in the tests confirm that your father is having malignant tumour ( CANCER ) and if you want, you can collect slides and blocks on which tests are performed (at the lab) Me:  I remained Silent BUT {Inside and In my mind} I was a bit shocked and felt nervous!! because I strongly believed that the test results will be negative, as he is a teetotaller and non-smoker. Doctor:  You are so young to visit a c...

Initial Findings…..didn’t notice

  Back in 2020, one night in February, when I was in Bangalore, I got a call from my father around 8 PM, and he said “He was driving back from the office and experiencing extreme pain in the abdomen area”. I was worried and asked him, ‘Where was he exactly ?’. I asked him to immediately turn the car into a nearby hospital, which is 3–4 km away from the place he said he was at. He was hesitant and worried about going to the hospital but then I asked him to ‘Just stop there for a while and go to the restroom’. Because I thought he would at least get temporary relief if he had been to the restroom. After 5–10 minutes, I called him back and enquired about his pain and condition. He said, “The pain was relieved and will slowly drive back home”. I asked him to ‘slowly reach home and call me immediately if you face any problem’. He went home, took a bath, went to my aunt’s house, ate some food, took a pill, relaxed for 1–2 hours, and went back home and slept. I called him the next day, he...