Skip to main content

Follow up ……. Didn’t expect

 After three days, when we went back for a follow-up under Dr.TSR. He asked his assistant doctors to remove the staples and Dr.TSR examined the wound. I stepped into Dr. TSR’s room and asked him for the next steps. When they were performing surgery, they collected samples for culture. I collected the report from the lab and showed it to Dr.TSR. I asked him, to please tell me his cancer stage. Dr.TSR told me that we have removed the part, which is affected by cancer. This report doesn’t make much sense. But, as per this report, it is Stage 3. He asked me to consult a medical oncologist by giving a reference in the same hospital and get chemotherapy treatment.

All this while, only I was with Dr.TSR and my father was in the procedure room (to get rid of staples and a jejunostomy tube). When I told him about this to my father, he couldn’t take it, as he was still in the process of recovery.

Either I or my father didn’t expect that there would be the following treatment after surgery (within less than a month). We both were sitting there for a few minutes thinking about what to do. Then, we thought of consulting the medical oncologist and take his opinion.

Doctor: To make you understand, I would say that the cancerous part was removed and the surgery was also successful. There can be a chance that it might reoccur or there can be a few cells, which can’t be traced with the naked eye, to remove during the surgical procedure.

Me: When should this treatment be started, sir? How long would this treatment last?

Doctor: We need to give 8 cycles of FLOT, which is the most advanced chemotherapy for the kind of tumour your father had been infected with (Signet ring cell carcinoma). Each cycle should have a gap of 15 days. So, it would be completed in 3.5 months. With this kind of chemotherapy, there wouldn’t be a need for Radiation treatment.

Doctor: It is advised that you get accommodation in this city and stay here rather than travelling, as this chemotherapy involves many side effects.

Me: Side effects? What could they potentially be?

Doctor: There can be many side effects related to chemotherapy like fluctuations in BP, kidney-related problems and many more.

Me: (Inside) We were scared and couldn’t make a decision on it so quickly. Thank you, doctor, we will consult within a couple of days.

We went back home from the hospital, as we needed some time to process and understand what should be done.

I was in an indecisive state because…………….

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Both of you made me Lost ................ Are you on a mission?

I am looking everyday at my phone, waiting for your phone call to speak to you again, would only realize after a moment that it’s never going to happen. During lunch I always look at the chair, you were sitting to have our decisive talks, realizing that I am not going to have it again is shattering me. I miss speaking to you again while having a ride on the bike to markets. During our last ride I still remember that when I expressed of moving to a new company, you asked me to stabilize and then wait for 6 months at least. Now, I promise to try my best to hold there. These all exact patterns happened with father too.......(Before his diagnosis) Honestly, I never felt orphaned till date even after losing nana, I always have you then. I am literally having this feeling now, I really don’t know why….…. I am really lost, you both shouldn’t have left me early. I am trying very very hard by running away / staying away from home, but I couldn’t process it. I already lost 50% of my...

Test Reports and Revelation

  I, my father, and one of my father’s cousins had again been to the doctor’s room after a week. Conversation between my father and doctor Doctor:  Hi Sir! How are you doing now? Father:  I felt good and fine until I used the course of medicines, which is prescribed by you. After the course has been completed, from the next day itself, there is discomfort again and I am suffering a lot, sir. Doctor:  Please be prepared for Surgery and make up your mind to it! The doctor asked my father to wait outside and asked us to stay in the room. Doctor:  The reports in the tests confirm that your father is having malignant tumour ( CANCER ) and if you want, you can collect slides and blocks on which tests are performed (at the lab) Me:  I remained Silent BUT {Inside and In my mind} I was a bit shocked and felt nervous!! because I strongly believed that the test results will be negative, as he is a teetotaller and non-smoker. Doctor:  You are so young to visit a c...

Initial Findings…..didn’t notice

  Back in 2020, one night in February, when I was in Bangalore, I got a call from my father around 8 PM, and he said “He was driving back from the office and experiencing extreme pain in the abdomen area”. I was worried and asked him, ‘Where was he exactly ?’. I asked him to immediately turn the car into a nearby hospital, which is 3–4 km away from the place he said he was at. He was hesitant and worried about going to the hospital but then I asked him to ‘Just stop there for a while and go to the restroom’. Because I thought he would at least get temporary relief if he had been to the restroom. After 5–10 minutes, I called him back and enquired about his pain and condition. He said, “The pain was relieved and will slowly drive back home”. I asked him to ‘slowly reach home and call me immediately if you face any problem’. He went home, took a bath, went to my aunt’s house, ate some food, took a pill, relaxed for 1–2 hours, and went back home and slept. I called him the next day, he...