Skip to main content

Taking time….How long?

 Even after 2 days in ICU, the doctor said that there was no bowel movement and he also said that, we can say that surgery worked out only if there was a bowel movement. We on the other side had been in a completely frightening state already from the surgery day onwards.

We went into the ICU at least 2 times a day and used to talk to him, my father who was lying on the bed was also worried about surgery as there was no progress. I would get even more worried after meeting him inside because of his feelings and suffering. None of us were in a peaceful mind to think and make a decision. The doctor would say ‘It’s taking time let’s monitor’ but finally after using TPN(Total parenteral nutrition) on the 5th day and because of god’s grace, the doctor said that ‘there was a slight bowel movement and will monitor one more day before shifting to the room’.

They finally shifted to the room on the 6th day of post-surgery but he was still suffering from the surgery pains and also left side abdomen pain. We spoke to the doctor regarding it, the doctor said ‘I already told you that there was a recurrence of cancerous cells. So, that pain will not reduce’. But, my father used to question us — What was the use of surgery, if this doesn’t reduce? Did the surgery fail? There was a lot of meaning to his question as a sufferer but all of us including the doctor stood silent because we didn’t want him to panic immediately after surgery without recovering.

It’s been almost 8 days since the surgery was done and already been in bed for 5 days before surgery. So, for the past 13 days, he hadn’t eaten any food or water, he was only on IV(intravenous fluids). The doctor advised us to slowly give him fluids orally but my father wasn’t comfortable and also afraid because he thought he would vomit again. My uncle and aunt slowly motivated and convinced him to have food orally.

One day, when we were in the room, my mama(my (aunt’s brother) had come to the hospital to see my father. my mama works abroad and came to India for some work and when he got to know about my father’s second surgery, he came to the hospital. I admire him for his simplicity and his down-to-earth nature. When he stepped into my father’s room, I saw tears pouring from my father’s eyes after the second surgery.

We went back to my uncle’s(father’s brother) home a couple of days later…………..didn’t expect it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Both of you made me Lost ................ Are you on a mission?

I am looking everyday at my phone, waiting for your phone call to speak to you again, would only realize after a moment that it’s never going to happen. During lunch I always look at the chair, you were sitting to have our decisive talks, realizing that I am not going to have it again is shattering me. I miss speaking to you again while having a ride on the bike to markets. During our last ride I still remember that when I expressed of moving to a new company, you asked me to stabilize and then wait for 6 months at least. Now, I promise to try my best to hold there. These all exact patterns happened with father too.......(Before his diagnosis) Honestly, I never felt orphaned till date even after losing nana, I always have you then. I am literally having this feeling now, I really don’t know why….…. I am really lost, you both shouldn’t have left me early. I am trying very very hard by running away / staying away from home, but I couldn’t process it. I already lost 50% of my...

Test Reports and Revelation

  I, my father, and one of my father’s cousins had again been to the doctor’s room after a week. Conversation between my father and doctor Doctor:  Hi Sir! How are you doing now? Father:  I felt good and fine until I used the course of medicines, which is prescribed by you. After the course has been completed, from the next day itself, there is discomfort again and I am suffering a lot, sir. Doctor:  Please be prepared for Surgery and make up your mind to it! The doctor asked my father to wait outside and asked us to stay in the room. Doctor:  The reports in the tests confirm that your father is having malignant tumour ( CANCER ) and if you want, you can collect slides and blocks on which tests are performed (at the lab) Me:  I remained Silent BUT {Inside and In my mind} I was a bit shocked and felt nervous!! because I strongly believed that the test results will be negative, as he is a teetotaller and non-smoker. Doctor:  You are so young to visit a c...

Initial Findings…..didn’t notice

  Back in 2020, one night in February, when I was in Bangalore, I got a call from my father around 8 PM, and he said “He was driving back from the office and experiencing extreme pain in the abdomen area”. I was worried and asked him, ‘Where was he exactly ?’. I asked him to immediately turn the car into a nearby hospital, which is 3–4 km away from the place he said he was at. He was hesitant and worried about going to the hospital but then I asked him to ‘Just stop there for a while and go to the restroom’. Because I thought he would at least get temporary relief if he had been to the restroom. After 5–10 minutes, I called him back and enquired about his pain and condition. He said, “The pain was relieved and will slowly drive back home”. I asked him to ‘slowly reach home and call me immediately if you face any problem’. He went home, took a bath, went to my aunt’s house, ate some food, took a pill, relaxed for 1–2 hours, and went back home and slept. I called him the next day, he...